A strike of the air controllers at Tirana’s Mother Theresa International Airport has suspended all flights to and from Albania’s only international airport as of 9 am today.
Sixty air controllers have been on strike since Tuesday evening as five of their colleagues were fired unexpectedly.
They met today Minister of Infrastructure and Energy Belinda Balluku to negotiate on their requests, but no agreement was reached between them. In this way, the work at Rinas Airport is suspended as all air traffic controllers are on strike.
In addition to the dismissals, the controllers say their salaries were cut by 70%. The controllers have made five requests to turn back to work:
1. Return of the fired colleagues
2. Repeal of board decisions
3. Return of full salary according to the collective agreement
4. Full financial transparency for 2020
5. A union member to be a board member.